Sustainability & Stewardship
The U.S. Dairy Sustainability Awards program celebrates excellence in collaborations, partnerships and innovations across the dairy value chain. Here are a few highlights from our award-winning members and others making a difference:
- Agri-Mark, Inc.-Known for their series of sustainability projects, the dairy-farm families of Agri-Mark dairy cooperative took a closed-loop approach, recycling cow manure, food scraps and food processing byproducts to produce renewable energy.
- Glanbia Nutritionals-As one of the leading manufacturers of American-style cheese and whey, the company was recognized for its adoption of a global sustainability strategy that promises to "nurture, grow and sustain the lives of our employees, milk producers, customers, consumers and communities."
- Hilmar-now has 100% of their reclaimed water being recycled and reused, most for crop irrigation. Read about their commitment to sustainability in the ninth annual report.
- Leprino Foods Co.-The company's Greeley, CO plant exemplifies environmental sustainability with replicable processes that ensure no precious resource isn't maximized. Built on an abandoned sugar-processing factory's site, it relies on a combined heat and power system with electricity from two natural gas turbines-meeting about 75% of the plant's power needs. The plant also employed technology that uses water from milk during the cheesemaking process to clean the facility, reducing the need for fresh water.
- Schreiber Foods-Learn how a collaboration between Schreiber Foods Inc. and Foremost Farms USA created a state-of-the-art water-treatment facility that can treat up to 1.4 million gallons of water per day using anaerobic digesters, serving as a road map for other dairy production facilities wanting to manage waste streams. They also reduced shredded-cheese packaging by 10 percent while keeping the same amount of cheese in the bag.
U.S. Dairy: Sustainability at the Heart of Global Ingredient Solutions
A new video series features U.S. supplier efforts to deliver the value of milk to global customers, highlighting how sustainability is a the heart of U.S. Dairy every day. The first U.S. dairy supplier snapshot features Idaho Milk Products' ongoing efforts to help feed the world in a way they can take pride in, furthering planet-friendly practices embraced on the farm and delivering versatile, nutritious ingredients.
In the latest installment of the video series showcasing U.S. Dairy’s sustainable ingredient solutions, Leprino Foods features a few of their innovative and environmentally-conscious practices. Already conserving resources and adopting clean technologies, they chart additional ambitious targets on their path to further reduce environmental impact and achieve carbon neutrality.